Skip to main content

DIY Mojito Gift Basket

Hey frugal friends! Do you love a good gift basket as much as I do? Today I am sharing a fun and unique gift basket I quickly put together for under $35.

When I got engaged, a coworker put together a basket for me full of wedding planning goodies and had it ready for me the next day. She's good. That same coworker just got engaged over Memorial Day weekend. Woo! It has taken me about a week to come up with a good idea of what to do for her. This will be her second marriage so she isn't planning on having a big wedding or reception. This means wedding magazines and planning books were out of the question. Which, you know, kind of sucks since those are the easy items you can get all in one place.

I decided what better way to celebrate an engagement (or any occasion, really) than with alcohol. I decided to make a Mojito Gift Basket!


What you'll need:

Mojito Mix OR Club Soda - $6
  • I got the Powell & Mahoney Mix which is about $9 online and $6 at Target
  • Club Soda is the more affordable option
Rum - $13

Mint Plant OR Mint Leaves - $5
  • I decided to go with a mint plant instead of picking up leaves in the produce section at the grocery store. Not only does it look better in the basket but it will be a gift that keeps on giving.  
Limes - 3 for $1

Basket - $6
  • Baskets are expensive! I found this one at TJ Maxx for a reasonable price. If you have one around the house you don't use or recently received, use that and it's free!

Optional Add-on Items:

Assembly
Arrange all the items in the basket the way you would like them.
Add as much décor (tissue paper, ribbon, etc.) as you please and you are good to go!

Since this was an engagement gift, I added a note that says:
"You two are "mint" to be - have a mojito on me!"

Do you guys have a go-to gift basket idea? Let me know in the comments below, I would love to know what your easy and budget-friendly ideas are! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frugal Cruising Tips

Have you ever been on a cruise? I spent last week cruising around the Western Caribbean as my first cruise adventure. It was extremely hard to get off the ship after all the fun we had! As a first time cruiser, I wasn't sure what to expect so I have come up with a few frugal tips and tricks to help you out!

Selecting a cabin: If you aren't claustrophobic, I suggest booking an interior room in order to save money. You won't spend too much time in your room unless you are sleeping anyway. If you don't think you will go crazy without a window, this is a great way to save money from the start.  Airplane Mode: When traveling, using your phone or computer is extremely expensive. In order to save money, do not sign up for a WiFi package on-board and do not use your phone unless it's an absolute emergency. If you do need to communicate with someone back home, talk to your phone carrier prior to departure to see what international packages are available for you to purchase. …

Frugal Fiancée: First Week of Engagement

Hi frugal friends! Guess what?! Last Saturday, my boyfriend of 6 (almost 7) years popped the question. I have decided that this would be a great opportunity to share some frugal wedding planning tips and tricks. In college, I worked for an event planner and saw first hand how much money is spent on weddings. After throwing away over $4,000 in flowers one night, I knew there had to be a way to cut down on wedding costs. During this wedding planning period, I am going to do my best to find ways to help you stay within your wedding budget when it's your turn. Here is the first of many in my "Frugal Fiancée" series. 

Before I start to share tips and tricks, I will summarize how the first week of this engagement has gone for me. This has been a crazy week but I am also grateful for all the positive support we have received. 

After the proposal on Saturday night (which took place in my favorite spot on Wrightsville Beach, NC), I began to tell my close friends and family. Some pe…

Frugal Fiancée: Creating Your Guest List

Y'all, creating a wedding guest list is hard. I mean, really hard. You truly do not realize how many family members and friends you have until it's time to compile a giant list of them. Here are a few things to keep in mind while putting together your wedding guest list. 

Size Matters
Travis (my fiancé) and I both imagined having a small-sized wedding. Then we started making a list and realized how many family members and friends we have. Our idea of small changed pretty quickly and eloping was heavily discussed. While it is wonderful to have such supportive people in our lives, inviting each of them to celebrate with us is impossible. If you want to have a small wedding or cut down on costs, you will have to make tough decisions about who to invite and who to (unfortunately) leave off the guest list. 

Establish Rules
Go ahead and create a few rules. Does everyone in the bridal party get a plus one? Are you only going to invite people you've talked to within the past year? Do …